Ari Herstand (Ari's Take)

Hey Ari,

I have just spent about 4 hours reading through many of your articles therefore resulting in me singing up to your email list.

I need some advice if you could possibly help me out?
I manage a band (who right all their own music) but I also own the publishing rights (inc all copyrights) to recordings of theirs that I finance.
I am just a small time company atm. Should I myself sign up to a publisher admin to help me deal with all the work as a one man publisher or can I do it myself with just signing up to say BMI (worldwide deal) an MCPS (for UK Mechanicals) etc.

I'm sorry to give you further work after your fantastically helpful and insightful articles!

Blessings and thanks,
James A F Lacey

Ari Herstand (Ari's Take) responded on 12/24/2015

Hi James, sorry for the delay. As the publisher, BMI will pay you 50% of all money earned for performance royalties. But there are a bunch of other royalties you should know about as well. I outlined them in this new guide:

Good luck!


PS - If you'd like more help we can dig in in a consulting session:

1000 characters remaining